Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Little houses


I stitched this up this past weekend as a housewarming gift for an old friend. I, of course, decided to make it the night before the shower so I worked like three hours straight on it. Eh, no surprise there. I am the queen of procrastination! Anyway--the houses pattern is from Sublime Stitching and is part of the artist series. This is the Emily Martin "Black Apple" series. It has some wonderful designs that I hope to stitch up soon. These houses were fun to stitch. They have fun, scalloped roofs and the design really lent itself to fun, candy colors. The tree pattern is actually from a Clover pattern that I purchased at Joanns. That particular set actually has some really cute animal patterns also that I want to try soon. It originally had five birds in the tree, but I cut one away to represent the family members--one mom, one dad and two daughters. I thought it added a more personal touch. I'm very pleased with how this turned out and the recipient really liked it.


Things I learned while stitching this:


**I love the Dharma Trading Company flour sack towels I just bought.


**The stem stitch finally clicked in my head! I don't know why I could never quite "get" it before (duh)


**Don't wait until the last minute to make someone a gift.

No comments: