Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Goals for the year

Yes I know it's already mid-February, but I really wanted to post my goals for the year.  I think it's important to write these sorts of things down so I can really take a hard look at them and be accountable for staying on target.  I really don't structure my life in such a regimented way, so most of these are more of a guideline--things I hope to achieve for my own well being. 

Creative Goals

*Produce more art work throughout the year--perhaps smaller scale works (I realized that last year I only produced one painting, so maybe working on a smaller scale will help me be more productive)
*Stitch a little everyday (so far so good on this--I've been stitching like crazy!)
*Try to work on at least 2 larger scale cross stitch projects.  (I think the one I'm starting for the baby will be a good start!)
*Make meaningful gifts for people-especially for holidays and birthdays---and start early! I never seem to give myself enough time when making things for other people and end us rushing at the last minute. 
*Use what I have---try not to buy any supplies unless absolutely necessary.  So far so good on this one also.  I recently reorganized all of my art/craft supplies (because baby will have to share the room with all my stuff).  I now know what I really have and where to look when I need something.  Everything I've made so far this year has been made using what I already have--patterns, fabric etc.(with the exception of the dessert of the month club patterns which I just couldn't resist)
*Make things for the baby.  I'm not talking about making all of his clothes or anything like that.  That will never happen.  But I want to make special things for him which will hopefully turn into a love for handmade and unique items.  I'm not so totally against mass produced items either, but I definitely want there to be a balance.  I'm off to a great start with the things I've made for the walls for his room!

Personal Goals

*Read at least 5 books that I already have. Do not buy a book until I have read those 5.  This goes along with using what I already have.  
*Read baby/parenting books.   I have rad several baby books already and have some parenting books that were given to me, so now I just need to make the time to read them.  This is important to me because I want to have a lot of information and then pick and choose what information I use with our child.
*Work on eating healthier, focusing on more organic foods.  We do OK with this but cold definitely do better.  It's become so important to me that the things I put in my body be good and good for me.  Organic foods (especially meats and dairy) often taste much better and I know they are good for me.  Being on a budget is hard, so buying organic foods that we eat a lot of is one way to get better at this. We also need to frequent the local farmer's markets more often.
*Thoroughly clean the apartment before the baby is born.  This also means organizing things so we know where stuff is. 
*Spend quality time with my hubby.  We often get trapped in our day-today so I want to make an effort to make some time for us.

Goals for baby boy

*Read to him often.  Start building a library for him to stimulate this. I want to him to be a voracious reader.  I read a lot when I was a kid, so starting him on books early will hopefully give him a thirst for it, too. (the above picture are some I've gotten so far from my mom!)
*Focus on good nutrition.  This echoes my personal goal but I wanted to write it out separately so I would stay on top of this. 
*Provide a happy atmosphere for him to live in.  Seems simple but I thought I'd write it down anyway, just in case things get tough around here. 
* Make time to spend outdoors with him.  This is VERY important to me.  I don't care if it's going to a local park or taking overnight camping trips.  I feel it's very important for a child to spend quality time outdoors. Plus we call can use the fresh air.
*Help him and Maggie bond.  I'm a little worried about how kitty will react to him, so I'm going to my best to help them become best buds.  I think it will be very important, and I'm sure I'll need reminding, to not let Maggie feel left out in anyway.

OK it's out there.  Looking over these lists, it seems like a lot but also doable.  These are things I can certainly do and maintain.  Do you make goals for yourself?  Do you write them down or just keep track of them in your head?  I will revisit this about mid-year to see if things are track. 
 'Til next time dear friends!





No comments: