Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Wintry Wreath

I have been on a wreath kick lately, wanting to make all kinds of wreaths for all the seasons and holidays.  I've been pinning some amazing wreaths on Pinterest. I've got so many I want to make!  But seeing as it is currently winter, I thought I'd start with a winter themed wreath.  In keeping with one of my crafty goals for the year, I used supplies I had on hand. Here's my result.  I'm totally in love with it.


It's wrapped in yarn, then sparkly star garland, added some crocheted snowflakes, a few old Christmas ornaments and a little cardinal.  Simple, but pretty.

I used this wreath form that I already had. I did leave the plastic on it, thinking it wouldn't snag the yarn as I wrapped it.  The yarn I've had for a while and it was plenty to wrap this wreath and have some left over. 

To start wrapping the yarn, I just made a knot in the yarn and stuck a pin through it into the wreath. I think it will hold pretty well.  I really didn't want to break out the glue gun.

Here it is all wrapped up nice and warm.  You'll see I still have quite a bit of the white yarn left--yay more projects!  The best advice I can give about wrapping the yarn is keep the tension throughout so you don't get strange gaps.  Other than that, it's a bit of a tedious process but goes pretty quickly.

I gathered up the materials I had planned on using.  I didn't use much of this stuff!  I had these grand plans of using these turquoise ornaments all over the wreath but it just wasn't working.  So I'll save those for another project as well.  I have a lot of these crocheted snowflakes that I knew I wanted to incorporate as well.  

I have two packages of this shiny star garland that I bought after Christmas a couple of years ago.  I decided to wrap this around the wreath to give it a bit of sparkle. 
 
 I like the contrast between the star garland and the soft yarn. 

I added the little cardinal and blue snowflake.  I love images of bright red cardinal in the snow.  Such beautiful birds. 

 I made a little garland with a few of the snowflakes and added those so they would hang in the middle, then added three of the blue ornaments.  These were the only ones that looked good when they were wired together.  The others were leaving too much of a gap for my liking. I used a thin wire to affix these to the wreath.

And that was it!  It didn't really take too long and the end product is super cute and I love seeing it on my door.  A great mix of sparkle and warmth.  Very wintry indeed.

Next up, I would like to work on a Valentine's Day wreath.  I may just try to rework the one I already have. I've got some pink Christmas ornaments I think may work!

Do you hang seasonal wreaths?  I think it's so fun!

'Til next time!

2 comments:

TheMistressT said...

I love this and that you were able to stash-bust to make it! Thank you for sharing your process, too. I also will get out more than I use and often end up no doing what I thought I would because "it's just not working."

I would like to do seasonal wreathes on our fence by the road, but I'm finding it challenging to find stuff I love that is also going to hold up well in the sun and snow. Last year's winter wreath faded so much that I was disappointed; the materials didn't cost much, but you know when you put time and thought into a project you kind of want it to last.

Unknown said...

Thanks Tara! And yes, when you worked hard on something and it just doens't last like you wanted, it's certainly disappointing. Hmpf.