Friday, May 13, 2011

Inspiration: Julianne W. Sterling

I was strolling through etsy like I usually do when I'm a bit bored and uninspired and came across a wonderful artist, Julianne W. Sterling.  She has some amazing work in her shop. Her artist statement is fantastic:

"I paint about the realities, complexities and absurdities of life as a woman.  With some bittersweet humor I explore the place where I rub up against the gender conditioning of my youth and the expectations of being a woman, wife and mother.  My paintings are about little secrets women keep to themselves.  As Cornelia Otis Skinner said “...Women keep a special corner of their hearts for sins they have never committed.”  I’m drawing from the rich history of portrait painting with this work, creating a likeness but also musing on cultural norms and ideals of women.  My subjects are drawn from the women and children in my life."

She obviously is concerned with the "Princess" culture of girls and her "Pushing Fairy Tales" series explores that.  
"Waiting for Snow White..IV"
"Waiting For Snow White"

The "Mommy Assassins" series is another fantastic commentary on modern motherhood and identity.
How amazing are the tinker-toy guns?
"The Mommy Assassins III"

"The Mommy Assassins II"
I love her layering.  The subtle colors and layers leaving something just under the surface.  And she draws damn good figures.  I've never been that great with the figure so I'm always jealous of those that are. 

"How To Live With A Man"

"Slip"

Really fantastic pieces. Please check out her other pieces on her site
and read through her bio. I'm so glad I stumbled across her work.

No comments: